Carlos Moya, the former world No.1 and longtime coach of Rafael Nadal, has publicly backed Carlos Alcaraz's decision to withdraw from Wimbledon this year. The young Spaniard has been sidelined since April due to a right wrist injury sustained during the Barcelona Open. Moya, now a respected voice in tennis circles, believes that Alcaraz's choice to skip the entire grass-court season, including the prestigious Wimbledon Championships, was the smartest possible move for his long-term career.
Alcaraz, who has won four Grand Slam titles including two at Roland Garros and one at Wimbledon, has not competed since his first-round match in Barcelona. The injury forced him to withdraw from subsequent tournaments, including Madrid, Rome, and the French Open. Earlier this month, he announced that he would also miss Queen's and Wimbledon, extending his recovery period. Moya explained that wrist injuries are particularly dangerous on grass because of the surface's unique demands.
"Wimbledon is one of the worst tournaments for the wrist," Moya said in a recent interview. "The lower bounce, quicker reactions, and constant adjustments place extra pressure on the wrist during serves, returns, and fast exchanges. For a player already dealing with discomfort, that environment can quickly become risky and dangerous." Moya, who won the French Open in 1998 and coached Nadal to numerous titles, emphasized that stopping early and allowing the body to recover is often the key to avoiding far more serious problems later in a career.
Alcaraz's injury occurred on April 16, 2025, during his opening match at the Barcelona Open against a qualifier. The 23-year-old immediately felt pain in his right wrist and was forced to retire. Subsequent medical evaluations revealed a ligament issue that required rest and rehabilitation. Since then, Alcaraz has been on a strict recovery regimen, avoiding any activities that could aggravate the injury.
The decision to skip Wimbledon, where Alcaraz won his first title in 2023 and reached the final in 2024, was not easy. The tournament holds special significance for him, as it was the site of his breakthrough on grass. However, Moya noted that elite athletes, especially young ones, often struggle to see the bigger picture. "As a player, it's difficult to see the big picture from the outside, so it's very commendable that he is resting and not pushing himself," Moya said.
Alcaraz's patience is particularly noteworthy given his age and competitive drive. At 23, he is already a seven-time Major winner, having conquered the Australian Open earlier this year. He has proven his ability to dominate on multiple surfaces, but his wrist issue has forced him to reassess his priorities. Moya, who has witnessed the careers of many top players, including Nadal, believes that Alcaraz's approach could serve as a model for other young athletes.
"If you stop it in time and rest, you can prevent a minor injury from becoming a chronic problem," Moya explained. "Carlos is taking the smartest approach in the long run. It's about protecting his future rather than chasing immediate results." This perspective aligns with the philosophy that Moya and Nadal have long advocated: health first, competition second.
The tennis world has seen many players rush back from injuries only to suffer setbacks. For example, players like Andy Murray and Stan Wawrinka have experienced extended absences due to hip and knee problems that were aggravated by early returns. Moya warned that grass-court tennis, with its unnatural sliding and abrupt stops, is especially tough on the body. "The low bounce and quick points mean that the wrist is constantly in motion, adjusting to different spins and paces. If there's any weakness, it will be exposed," he added.
Alcaraz's injury also brings to mind the struggles of other Spanish players. Rafael Nadal himself has dealt with various injuries throughout his career, including wrist problems. The 22-time Grand Slam champion once had to skip Wimbledon in 2016 due to a wrist issue, a decision that ultimately helped him prolong his career. Moya, who worked closely with Nadal for years, understands the psychological toll such decisions can take.
"It's hard for any competitor to step back, especially when you're young and successful," Moya said. "Carlos has won four titles at Roland Garros and Wimbledon combined. He knows what he's missing. But he has the maturity to see that this is a temporary setback." The emotional weight of missing Wimbledon, where Alcaraz defeated Novak Djokovic in a thrilling five-set final in 2023, cannot be understated. However, Moya trusts that Alcaraz and his team have all the information they need.
"Without knowing exactly what he has, since he and his team will have all the information, I think he has made the smartest decision," Moya concluded. The former Roland Garros winner admitted he does not know every detail surrounding Alcaraz's injury but expressed full confidence in the player's medical team. Alcaraz's coach, Juan Carlos Ferrero, and his physiotherapist have been working tirelessly to ensure a full recovery.
Looking ahead, Alcaraz is targeting a return at the summer hard-court swing in July, with tournaments in Canada and Cincinnati before the US Open. The American Grand Slam, where Alcaraz reached the semifinals in 2023 and the quarterfinals in 2024, is a key goal. The hard surface is considered less stressful on the wrist than grass, making it a safer environment for his comeback.
Moya's support is significant because it comes from a figure with deep knowledge of the sport. He coached Nadal from 2016 to 2022, helping him win multiple Grand Slams and recover from various injuries. His endorsement of Alcaraz's cautious approach adds weight to the decision. The tennis community has largely applauded Alcaraz's choice, with many noting that his long-term health should take precedence over any single tournament.
In addition to Moya's comments, other experts have weighed in. Tennis physiotherapists have noted that wrist injuries can be particularly tricky because of the complex anatomy involved. The wrist contains numerous small bones, ligaments, and tendons that must work in harmony for powerful strokes. A minor injury can become chronic if not treated properly. Alcaraz's decision to take two months off is seen as a prudent step.
Alcaraz's absence from Wimbledon will undoubtedly be felt by fans and organizers. He was the defending champion and a crowd favorite. However, the tournament will still feature other top players like Jannik Sinner, Novak Djokovic, and Daniil Medvedev. The void left by Alcaraz might open opportunities for others, but Moya believes that Alcaraz's long-term prospects are more important.
"In two or three years, people will remember the titles he wins, not the grass-court season he missed in 2025," Moya said. "This is a marathon, not a sprint. Carlos understands that." The young Spaniard's patience could pay off handsomely as he aims to break more records and cement his legacy alongside his compatriot Nadal.
Ultimately, Moya's backing of Alcaraz's decision highlights a growing trend in modern tennis: placing health and longevity above short-term glory. As the sport becomes more physically demanding, athletes are learning to listen to their bodies. Alcaraz's maturity in making such a difficult choice has earned him widespread respect, and Moya's words only reinforce that sentiment.
Source: MSN News